Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 6 indoor and outdoor training

So today was a school day for Koz and with the overcast chilly weather I wasn't feeling motivated.

But when motivation is low for me, I read blogs about derby and everything gets rolling.

So I started getting the itch and strapped on my skates to practice balancing on one foot while skating.

This actually turned out really good because my hallway is super short. So I do one foot transitions in the normal skating form forwards and backwards. It's funny how backwards is almost as easy as forwards.

I did this as long as I could and practiced doing some spins with alternate heel and toe pressure. I'm trying to figure out how to spin around when not standing totally still. No significant luck yet.

So after a few sessions interrupted by Meza wanting to be snuggled with on the couch, I finally geared up for the park.

We made it down and strapped it all on. And I am happy to report that I have made significant improvement. Like a solid 8% better than yesterday. This may not seem like much, but considering that the day before appeared to have no improvement, I was pretty stoked.

I did figure eights and went faster around the turns. I even did the slightest of crossovers. Not a total crossover, but my feet were less than 6 inches apart which is a huge improvement from my usual barrel legged stance.

I'm also interacting with Mez more while skating. Just being comfortable standing is cool. This is somewhat attributed to me practicing the "Hustle" in the hallway. My hall is only about 3.5 feet wide so doing side steps up and down the hall requires me to stay fairly well on the same line.

Oh and I'm working on putting one foot in front of the other and balancing in a line.

Everyday I am improving. When I started 5 days ago I felt like a Greyhound on a Vet clinic floor. Now I feel almost normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment