Sunday, March 7, 2010

Day 16 buying skates

So when I started skating, two weeks ago, I bought cheap outdoor skates. These are fine and serve their purpose.

But I just got new indoor skates, and yes I know the wheels are the only thing that makes them indoors, that cost twice as much.

My comfort and ability to maneuver is about double on the indoor skates, which seems to be mainly due to the fact that the better boot doesn't make me feel like I am standing on a metal plate.

I'm going to keep my outdoor skates for beating up outside and indoor for inside. Unless I can't handle the crappy ones anymore.

But if you are thinking of investing in skates, and have any confidence that you might stick with it, even for a while, get a nicer skate and get it from a skate shop that fits you in it. I bought my first ones online with no knowledge of how they are supposed to fit. Bad idea. Or just fairly uncomfortable.

Think of it as 15-20 dinners or drinks out. (I eat cheap, if you eat good food it might only be 5-10 dinners worth). Oh and get your pads and helmet when you get your skates. I bought crappy ones only to have to buy better ones (and only like $10 more) two weeks later.

No comments:

Post a Comment