Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Week 7 In the shit

Oh and I mean in a good way. Each practice just gets better and better. This is what I have been working so hard for. Being able to skate well enough that I can participate in drills.

Now I can't whine about how much I suck. The girls aren't hearing it. This is part of the beauty of working in a group. I need the peer pressure and no bull attitude. They tell you to shut up and get moving. For me this works better than anything else.

We did stopping drills. Oh how I need this! First we did knee slides. I like these a lot. I need to work harder on getting up quickly, but whatever.

Then we did t-stop drills. Today is the third practice that Megs and I have really worked on t-stops. We had fooled around with them a little, but I doubt either of us had done it more than 3 or 4 times before this week. I really felt like I was doing it today. Instead of skipping and being freaky, it really dug in and felt good.

On to plow stops. I was doing them all wrong. We did shopping cart drills with plow stops and Gary gave us 20 seconds of wisdom. It's amazing how a few words of well directed pointers can make that world of difference. There isn't really that much to them, but there are lot of wrong ways to do them.

Then turn around toe stops or tomahawk stop. This involves transitions. After carefully informing our group that neither Megs or I have effectively done these. Technically we've done them off the wall at least 3 times at the rink and I did them in the hallway today. Our sob story. We'll stop doing that soon enough.

Anyways after garnering enough support from our group we did it. We sucked, we were slow. But oh yeah, we did it!

Then the drills just didn't stop. We did dodging drills where we darted in
between the skater in front of us. This was awesome, but kicked my ass.

Today was a really good day. I am very sore and so very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment