Thursday, April 7, 2011

Running in a tight skirt

The hip felt better today so I decided to still do a tempo run, just a very slow one.

I did a 1 mile warm up and cool down, and sets of .75 mile at a faster pace with .25 mile recovery in between. I did 3 sets, ran another 1.25 easy to cool down and walked .75 to finish off.

I can definitely feel the weird tweak in my hip. It's strange because it doesn't actually hurt, just is that uncomfortable twingy nerve feeling. Everything on that side feels off. But I focused on form and it seemed to really help.

My theory on running form seems to be that if you are doing every correctly, you essentially run as if you are in a tight knee length skirt. You scoot along, taking short steps, pushing off with your foot and toes keeping your hips and core engaged. When my stride lengthens it's bothers my hip, when I shorten up it's fine. Also running uphill not only makes it feel ok, it actually feels extra extra good.

Good:
Ran 5.25 miles
Walked .75 miles
Total 70 minutes

1 comment:

  1. Funny how that works! I'm glad you're feeling good enough to run again. It gets addicting!

    ReplyDelete