Monday, November 29, 2010

Veggie beef soup


I had a bunch of mushrooms I needed to use up and was feeling like a good salty soup.

1 whole onion roughly chopped
1-2 pounds mushrooms roughly chopped (any kind or mix)
1 whole garlic bulb, each clove smashed and peeled
5-6 carrots roughly chopped
3-4 celery roughly chopped
2-3 tablespoons poultry seasoning

dump it all into a large soup pot on med heat. Add a half cup of water if it gets dry.
Cover and let it cook down for 30-40 minutes until everything is dark and hammered.

Add 2-3 tablespoons of vegetarian beef base, a couple dashes vegan Worcestershire and a good 1/2 to 1 cup vermouth. Let it cook for another 20 minutes.

At this point add 8-10 cups water or more depending on how salty it is. If it's not salty enough add a teaspoons of veg broth powder. I like to mix broths to give it more depth of flavor.

At this point you could add any roughly chopped veggies. I opted to add a whole cabbage shredded. Cabbage is great with a beefy broth. You could add a little tomato juice or a few tomatoes if it's too salty and heavy for you.

I also add a couple cups of baby spinach to my bowl before I ladle in the soup to give it a little extra veggies. And a sprinkle of vegan white cheese is nice too!

No comments:

Post a Comment