Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 1 referee orientation

Well this day actually happened a few weeks ago, but who's counting?

I've had a few friends who were in roller derby. They were clearly far to cool for me by that time. But I love and envy it, so I thought the time has come for me to be cool too.

I emailed. I showed up. I made stupid jokes and acted way more comfortable than I was. They layed out the rules and needs and set us free.

The goal is to be a skating ref. Whether I want to actually play is not really the issue. I want to be involved. I want to skate. I want to get the hell out of the house.

So I got the rule book and spent four days committing most of it to memory. I actually think I could call most penalties right now. This is to be determined in real life with actual real live players.

Then I got the skates. Did I mention I can't skate? Yet.

At least four times I roller skated in grade school. I was that dork who stayed on the carpet and held onto the wall.

When I was in highschool my brother took me ice skating 2 or 3 times. I sucked, but at least I got off the wall.

Before I had children, my husband and I went rollerblading. Maybe only once. I lived through it.

But I think roller skating is cool.

I like the roller dancing dudes in the parks. Not the head band wearing guys that clearly have no lives other than being labeled "rollerking". But the guys and girls who for all appearances are normal and like to dance with a little extra motion.

So I'm going to have to learn to skate.

No comments:

Post a Comment