Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 3 skating outside

Day three is Saturday, yesterday. My first time skating outside.

I decided I need to do 10 laps around the house each day and 2 more outdoor laps than the day prior. This doesn't sound like much to the casual observer. But to the newly shod terrorized skater this sounds like more that I am really prepared to do.

So the plan was to drop off my son at a friends in Carkeek, then drive to an open parking lot or basketball court and try my hand at rolling around.

It always sounds easier in my head.

I drove around for 45 minutes. There were like 6 parks and school, with perfect places to skate on. But it was a blessed sunny day in Seattle and every freakin place had tons of people.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I am going to look like a total fool I really like to do it privately.

I drove back to my house and ended up at the tennis courts at the abandoned school.

It was perfect, no one around, caged in, a bit rough, but nice and level.

My daughter could run around in the caged court and I could roll without worrying about her. There was no way I would be able to effectively catch her on skates should she decide to bolt.

So skates on, helmet and pads on. Yes I was wearing near full gear. If I was going to fall I wasn't risking anything. Maybe in another week or two I can skip the helmet, but not right now.

I did almost 3 laps. Really. It hurt, I was scared, I didn't like it and it felt all wrong. But I did it and did it about half a lap longer than I had planned.

When you start out it can really suck if you are not a natural.

I am ok with this. I have found that I don't have to be a natural at anything. All I have to do is keep trying and push myself slightly harder than the last time. And do it every day.

I think the everyday thing is what makes it work more than anything.

So a little freaked out but a little bit satisfied I ended my outdoor attempt with the resolution of doing 2 more laps more each time and 10 laps around the house several times a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment