Thursday, March 11, 2010

Day 20 Skating for reals

Today started out bad.

I got to practice and things immediately went downhill. My feet were cramping, my heel was sliding out. I felt like my foot was askew and everything was wrong. It was like the very bad, no good day.

We stretched and started doing drills and I went on to do my regular skills practicing. I wasn't hopeful and I toyed with the notion of packing it in. But I wouldn't leave during practice, and I really want to do this. It's just depressing when nothing feels like it's improving.

So I tightened up my skates and got moving. Today was a fun day as our first bout is in two days.

Gary wanted things to be relaxed and easy. There was some hokey pokey and the chicken dance. A limbo bar came out at one point. But my savior was the music.

Once the music came on, I had something to distract me. I had something to move to. And that seemed to be the solution to all my problems.

All of a sudden I could skate. Not skillfully, not even mediocre. But I skated and it felt incredible. I went faster than I have ever gone. I skated more laps than I have ever skated. I even got closer to doing a crossover on a corner than ever before.

At the end I even felt like I could have stayed for an open skate. There wasn't one, but I wasn't exhausted.

Today was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment